Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Final Leg

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



We are in the final leg of our drive today. Last night, after 8 hours of driving we decided to stop in Houston, Texas. Houston is a really beautiful city, it reminds me of a shrunken Manhattan. I often wonder if with my anxiety I would do better in a city like Manhattan, or in some rural part of the country because I find myself most anxious in two very different but specific situations. The first, when I am completely alone, when I dont feel like there is anyone around that if something were to happen to me nobody would ever know. The second, when I am driving and get trapped in, say at a traffic light in the middle lane where I cant move. It seems my anxiety is a bit of a catch 22, its like c'mon, I should get atleast one place where I feel secure. That is all about to change though. I'm certain I will encounter a number of thin situations over the next 40 days and I am certain as well that God will bring me through every one of them.
I have been speaking to Brittani a couple times a day since I left. I think in the beginning that will be the hardest part of my journey. I have expectations for every relationship in my life but I am having to release those expectations to God because I dont think they will ever be like what I envisioned them to be like as I age. My life over the last five months has been completely stripped from me. My relationship with my mother has done a 180' turn. My friendship with Ryan will never be what I want it to be because we are different people and he has gotten married. Kelly is moving away, Joel is coming of age, and Brittani is gone. I really wish I had cleaved to my wife like Ryan is doing when I had the chance. I admire him for that. This is an area where I know that Papa Phillips will be able to guide me through. I am drawn to him like I am drawn to Damon because they are two people who I know have struggles and who I can clearly see God through them. Im not saying that I cannot see God through anyone else, just that I spend the most time interacting with them so it's more clear.
My hotel room in Houston is amazing! I was put on a very modest budget to get out here, which is different because its another time I miss Dad because I know he would have shipped me off in style. I mean the whole nine yards, 5 start hotels, a Mercedes to drive out in, room service, spending money, all of it! Its probably better that thats not the case anyway, because thats not what Im making this trip for. Back to the hotel room! Its a $349 per night room at the InterContinental in Houston. How did I spend that on a hotel room with a modest budget you ask? Well, its simple, we snuck in! Seriously though, I used Priceline.com and got the room for just under $100 dollars. God really looked out for me I guess. Im actually going to take a picture of the room because I would like to decorate my room like it when I get home. Here is a stock photo from their website for you to enjoy.
We are getting ready to get on the road so God bless all and remember to March Forth!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great journal article.